Can you tell a great story or interpret your poetry? Share your words as part of Word Travels’ 12 cocoons program.
Word Travels is looking for spoken word artists and writers based in the following Local Government Areas (LGAs):
- bay side
- City of Penrith
12 communities in Greater Sydney experienced some of Australia’s toughest lockdown restrictions in 2021 and have been labeled “the 12 LGAs of concern”. Word Travels wants to hear and amplify the voices of writers who have lived through these difficult conditions.
12 cocoons is about celebrating our vibrant communities, reclaiming the public narrative and showcasing talented writers.
The chosen writers will choose a permanent object in a favorite place in their community and take pictures of it (eg, a mural, a sign, a train ticket machine).
They will also record a video of themselves talking about their poem or story.
The Word Travels team will coordinate digital technology, so anyone with a link or QR code can point their phone camera at the writers favorite location and the writer’s video will appear embedded in this location.
To check out our pilot version of 12 Cocoons, visit our website at: Poets for 12 cocoons | The word travel
12 cocoons Application details:
- Write to your LGA
- Record a video of yourself telling your story or performing your poem.
(duration of the video: maximum 2 minutes).
- Send your application to [email protected]
Your application can be made via a zip file or a link to a folder containing:
- A picture of you
- A short biography (max 200 words)
- Your video poem or your story
If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us via social media or email: [email protected]
The deadline for the first round of applications is March 14, 2022. We will continue to accept applications after this date for all remaining applications. Cocoons.
- Literary quality – well written and edited, concrete language, emotive imagery, sensory description, original metaphor(s), clear vision and innovation
- Quality of performance – variation in pitch, rhythm and volume, voice experimentation, authenticity, clarity of spoken text
- The diversity of the overall applications will be taken into account in the final selection